January 11, 2011

flu vaccine

When Jackson had his 6 month check-up he received the first dose of the flu vaccine and he went back last week for the second dose. It was quick and he did not cry, that is until about 2am that night. He screamed like I have never seen him scream before. I tried to let him 'cry it out,' tried to feed him, tried to walk him around until my back broke... 3 hours later he finally wore himself out. The next day he still was not his usual smiley self. We took his temperature (blessed with a very healthy boy, we had to open the thermometer as it was the first use) and it was 102. The Duke Pediatrics nurse hot line assured us it was alright and to give him some baby ibuprofen to get the fever down. Apparently 1 in 5 babies get a fever after the shot?! I wish I had known this and I would have not been so frustrated the night before. Lesson learned to read up on vaccines before they are given. There is nothing worse than my sweet baby not feeling well. 5 days later and he is finally back to his normal self.


1 comment: