June 2, 2010

contraction-action

Today is Jackson's due date and I am so glad he did not make it this far! Last Sunday at this time I was doing some cleaning, installed the car seat, and enjoying some Q Shack for dinner. When I think back it is like I secretly knew the baby was gonna be here very soon but I just didn't want to admit it to myself. Sunday night at 12:45am my water broke. I had just been to the bathroom and was trying to make myself comfortable back in bed when woosh it came streaming out. I got up quickly and went to the bathroom in somewhat disbelief. Without skipping a beat Charlie called the doctor for me and started throwing whatever he could think of into the hospital bag. We called our parents and told them we were headed in and would be in touch with any news from the doctor. I was about 4 cm. dialated when we got there and contractions started kicking in pretty quickly. For some reason I decided to wait on an epidural for a little while. It did not take long for the nurse to check on me at just the right time, 'how long does it take for you to get an epidural in me?!' Around 4:30 am I was 6-7 cm. dialated and resting comfortably in the bed listening to his hearbeat on the monitor. I was just thinking how great this epidural was when I started to feel the contractions again. I figured they must be getting really strong, 5 minutes later - really really strong. I called the nurse in and let her know something was not right. They tried to give me another dosage but it did not work. That is when the 'natural birth' began. I quickly dialated to 10 cm. and the doctor told me it was time to start pushing. This was a relief, to finally be able to do something. It went on for about 3 hours, all the while I am thinking why is it taking so long? The doctor said he just was not making his way down correctly and a c-section may be the way to go but it was completely up to me. I had no problem at all with the c-section and we headed into surgery. One hour later I heard the sweet hollerin of a big ol baby boy!

sneaky promo ad - i mean who doesn't like jersey mike's and babies?!

3 comments:

  1. yay I wanted to hear the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will have to remember these meals for future reference... you are Qshack and I am pot roast. :) I'll remind you of that next go round. Cannot wait to love on this sweet little head next week!!

    ReplyDelete